Monday, October 28, 2013

Grateful for Simple Pleasures

One year ago today life in this small city, just east of Manhattan, changed in such a surreal manner that I still can't wrap my mind around it.  Superstorm Sandy devastated the Tri state area, moving houses off foundations, sending 17 foot waves clear across the island, flooding all the infrastructure, and driving most of us from our homes.  I have shared some pictures with you in the past and so many of you reached out offering good wishes, moral support and help.

The most symbolic structure lost
was our boardwalk.  In the scheme of life not as important as our flooded hospital or all the uninhabitable homes but the one structure that everyone in the area regarded as iconic and ironic as it seems, the most easily restored.

Our hospital is still in limbo due to new requirements imposed by the DOH, but it is getting there.  About 20% of our homes are still uninhabitable, but I understand funding is beginning to trickle in and there is reason to hope they will all be restored, lifted, or replaced in short order.  The Army Corp of Engineers will be submitting plans to restore our jetties and bulkheads and dredge new sand to replenish our beaches and dunes and life has somewhat resumed for most of us.

I do not have the words to describe how grateful I am to have literally "come through the storm."  There is no way to adequately articulate the tremendous help we received from all across the country and how humbled we were.  The very simple joy I feel to be able to once again sit on my terrace contemplating the eternity of the ocean and admiring another wonderous sunset.  To appreciate the everyday, mundane tasks of grocery shopping and cooking is actually amazing to me when I look back.

Simple pleasures for us are family gatherings for brunch and football games and enjoying each other and good food.  Among the meals we ate were items from our sponsors, Johnsonville and Ore-Ida.  I didn't make elaborate, pretentious meals, just simple yummy food in keeping with our mood.  Take a look at what we ate:
 Chiliville Chili
Ore-Ida fries and Sriarcha Mayo Dip
MVP Chili over Ore-Ida fries

                                                        Easy Cheesy Hash Browns


    Creamy Pesto Gnocchi with Italian Sausage

                                                     Johnsonville® One-Pan Italian

 

                                                        Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms


 Disclaimer

I am a proud Allrecipes Allstar Brand Ambassador (a voluntary position) and I’m not compensated for my work with Allrecipes.com. 

Products received from advertisers are only used for experienced-based reviews by BigShotsMom. The reviews, content and opinions expressed in this blog are the sole opinions of BigShotsMom.

1 comment:

  1. Reminding self. get gnocchi soon to make this dish.. looks great. I used up the last of my fries today at lunch. they'll be missed

    ReplyDelete