Saturday, February 15, 2014

Evolving Tastes



I have always eaten a fairly wide range of foods and been willing to try new things but there were a few I just didn't like.  Lima beans, dry beans, and most greens were things I managed to spend many years without eating and I will continue to pass on the lima beans because I still do not like them.  I have learned to eat black beans, red beans, kidney beans and chickpeas and actually enjoy them, while I can take or leave pinto beans.  There are certain greens I really enjoy such as spinach, beet greens, and chard and those like mustard greens or collards, for which I doubt I will ever acquire an appetite.  But I am learning that as I mature my tastes change and that simply trying a different preparation makes a big difference.

Kale was one of those greens that I didn't like.  I found the flavor harsh and the texture unappealing.  I saw a plate a friend had cooked that just looked so tasty and commented how I wished I liked kale.

   Chicken and Kale in Parmesan Cheese Sauce  -  just look at that gorgeous photo by Linda Trem!
       http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chicken-and-Kale-in-Parmesan-Cream-Sauce/Detail.aspx

Linda encouraged me to find baby kale and then another friend told me Earthbound Farms sells organic baby kale in supermarkets.  Why did it take so long to learn this?  I love baby kale so much that I have eaten it 4 times this week.

Tonight I wanted to use the last of it before it spoiled.  I looked at several recipes but none were just what I wanted with the cold snowy weather we've been having.  So I decided to wing it and make a soup.

          1 small onion diced
          3 cloves of garlic minced
          1 link of dry chorizo diced
          1 tbs olive oil
          1 qt chicken stock
          1/2 pkg baby kale

Sauté the onion in the olive oil until translucent.  Add the garlic and chorizo and cook until the chorizo softens.  Add the stock and bring to a boil.  Plunge the kale in the stock, stir, and reduce the heat to simmer for about 20 minutes or until the kale is wilted.  Taste for seasonings.  If the stock is homemade it may be flavorful enough and the chorizo will add some salt as well as a rich, smokey flavor.  (Serves 2)   Add some crusty bread and you are all set.

       




9 comments:

  1. Hehe, love the name of your blog. I never much cared for beans either but getting better with practice. Not a fan of kale either, but will have to check out the baby kale. Don't you just love winging it? It's always a surprise, but usually quite tasty. (Magnolia Blossom fro AR)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pattycakes in Da House:)) I am with ya sista as far as beans go, unless they are baked n bathed in brown sugar, I hardly will eat them. NOW, Greens, any and All are welcome to tango with my tongue!! In fact, I found broccoli Raab sp?, at the market the other day. WOW, So yummy!! I'm a Big girl too! Does that mean I don't cry? Cuz if it Does, all bets are off!! lol xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did I break this while I was trying to get this to post on AR?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saving that soup I know Bill will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tried baked Kale chips, blech! Lima beans meh take them or leave them. Collard greens I actually made at the DS's request and SURPRISE I liked them. Beans of all kinds I hated growing up since once a week we had a pot of uninspired Navy beans. I really like beans now

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joey, that soup comes together so fast. It is perfect for a day you are pressed for time. I always have chicken stock in the freezer and either a loaf of bread or rolls that I can bake up. Easy Peasy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Cat! I blame my mother trying to force feed limas to me, I still gag at the thought. If I were visiting someone and they served any of the others I could eat enough to be polite, but not the limas. Oh well....

    ReplyDelete